Every firm has a culture – the values, beliefs, methodology, attitudes and standards that reflect an organization’s DNA. But the truly inspiring firms – the game-changers, the industry leaders and the disruptors – have cultures that propel them to innovate and stand out. At Brown Advisory, we aim to be one of those inspired firms. Over the years, we have purposefully built and nurtured our client-first culture.
Brown Advisory is an independent investment management firm that is obsessed with putting clients first – not because it’s good for business – but because we find, and hire, people that truly care about each and every client. We feel privileged to work with such a special group of clients, and find a great deal of satisfaction in not only providing them with the highest level of service, but also first-class performance and strategic advice. Our firm was founded in 1993 as an affiliate of Alex. Brown & Sons, a leading U.S. investment bank, and became independent in 1998. Today, we serve institutional and private clients in 50 states and more than 34 countries and territories from our 8 offices in Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Chapel Hill, Delaware, London, New York, and Washington, D.C. While every investment firm tries to attract the most qualified professionals, we place a premium on only selecting those individuals who fit our culture and bring sought-after skills to our team. In fact, each of Brown Advisory’s 500+ colleagues own equity in the firm. Our ownership structure, collaborative investment process and client-first culture aligns our interests with our clients and results, which also reduces colleague turnover.
Brown Advisory is currently seeking a Senior Institutional Marketing Strategist. Working closely with the institutional portfolio managers, research analysts, sales and relationship management team, this individual will have overall responsibility for the marketing strategy, product positioning and execution of that strategy for a broad range of SMA and mutual fund solutions across a number of asset classes. The position will report to the Heads of Marketing and Messaging.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Market research
- Competitive analysis
- Nuance-ing the product’s messaging to fit the various sales channels (direct, consultant, third-party)
- Creating a common messaging framework for all Brown Advisory investment products
- Identifying opportunities for new product development
- Working closely with other members of the Marketing team to ensure the necessary back-up and cross training support is in place to handle work load
- Maintaining communication within department as well as with other departments to assure consistency in communication with clients and consultants
- Minimum 5 years of experience in investment product marketing/communication role working with senior investment professionals and product teams.
- Knowledge of regulatory and industry rules, guidelines, and standards critical (SEC, FINRA, GIPS).
- Bachelor's degree, preferably with a major in economics, business or marketing. MBA strongly desired, CFA a plus.
- Other industry qualifications/licenses strongly desired.
- Ability to work autonomously.
- Asset management industry experience critical.
- Exposure to multiple client types (e.g., Institutional, Retail, non-U.S.) strongly desired.
- Proven in-depth product, market and industry knowledge, and ability to demonstrate this understanding in the creation and execution of marketing strategies.
- Understanding of financial data to help to develop narratives that support current product positioning.
- Strong verbal and writing skills.
- Demonstrated track record of success in steering marketing, including:
- Management of prospecting and servicing marketing materials (e.g., sales presentation pitch books, product profiles/fact sheets)
- Ability to write for different audiences and mediums (e.g., print, Web) to ensure consistent messaging and branding
- Management of compliance oversight and coordination to ensure all materials adhere to established policies, procedures, and controls in place for audit purposes
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills, proficiency at prioritization, the ability to simultaneously manage multiple tasks, and the ability to operate under tight deadlines.
- Experience working with cross-functional and multi-channel teams (e.g., sales/marketing, client service, management, legal, performance, and graphics).
- A true team player, translating prior knowledge and experience into strong and productive relationships internally and externally.
- Assertive, strong examples of "leadership" capabilities/strengths in facilitating projects, overcoming obstacles and challenges (i.e., problem-solving experience).
- Flexible and able to succeed in an autonomous, dynamic, and highly functional team.
- Light travel may be needed to support role and function.
- At Brown Advisory we offer a competitive compensation package, including full benefits.
- Wellness program participation incentive
- Financial wellness program
- Gym membership discounts
- Fitness event fee reimbursement
- Corporate gym membership discounts
- Colleague Assistance Program
- Telemedicine Program (for those enrolled in Medical)
- Adoption Benefits
- Daycare late pick-up fee reimbursement
- Basic Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Voluntary Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Group Long Term Disability
- Personal Excess Liability
- Pet Insurance
- 401(k) (50% employer match up to IRS limit, 4 year vesting)
Brown Advisory is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.