The Director of Marketing and Communications assumes primary responsibility for stewardship of the Governor’s brand identity and the development and management of all communications, public relations, and marketing needs for the school. The Director is responsible for creating and implementing an annual institutional marketing plan that spans all aspects of communications and marketing, media relations, print publications, electronic media, and crisis management.
The Director serves on the Head of School’s Executive Team and works collaboratively with key administrators to ensure a coordinated and cohesive approach to communication across all touchpoints within our internal and external community. Specifically, the Director works in close partnership with Advancement to develop and manage effective capital campaign and annual fund marketing initiatives, and Admissions to manage institutional marketing for prospective candidates.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• In consultation with the Head of School and the Directors of Admission and Advancement, formulate marketing strategies, including creative campaigns and tactical execution plans for the school.
• Oversee the school’s institutional identity program and manage the brand in a cohesive fashion across all communication touch points.
• During Capital Campaigns, take a leadership role in the development and management of a campaign marketing plan and oversee its execution to ensure specific engagement objectives are met. The Director will also be responsible for overall brand stewardship to ensure a cohesive and integrated approach across all messaging and touchpoints.
• Develop/manage marketing tools, platforms and databases to ensure the academy can effectively understand, track, and reach parent and alumni audiences with effective communication and brand messaging.
• Establish and manage to clear performance metrics regarding audience engagement.
• Manage and determine content of the school’s website and social media channels. Oversee the creation and production all electronic newsletters.
• Work collaboratively with outside freelancers and graphic designers; oversee production of more than 150 publications per year, including but not limited to all admission and development publications.
• Establish the annual budget for the Communications Office, to be reviewed by the Head of School and Chief Financial Officer.
• Staff the Marketing Committee of the Board of Trustees and generate reports to the Board at the request of the Head of School.
• Oversee the school’s press release program, and with the Head of School and Executive Committee as appropriate, manage all publicity, promotion, and crisis communication. In conjunction with the Head of School, serve as spokesperson for the school to the press and external constituencies when needed.
• Write, edit, and oversee the proof editing of all school publications and website communications.
• Draft correspondence, talking points, and public presentations for the Head of School. Generally assist the Head of School in developing consistent messaging across platforms and audiences.
• Oversee the school’s print needs.
• Oversee all photography for purposes of publicity and documentation
• Oversee the school’s survey program designed to collect information from students, parents, alumni, and employees to drive institutional improvement.
• Member of Calendar, Commencement, and Technology Committees, and Executive Team.
• Administrator-on-Duty and other weekend responsibilities.
• Establish key performance indicators (KPIs) for our marketing effort and benchmark performance on awareness and engagement relative to our objectives (progress), spending (efficiency), and other institutions (competitive position).
• Actively research best practices and surface new ideas and initiatives to keep Governors highly connected and relevant to all constituents.