The Senior Director of Marketing & Communications will develop, lead, and direct marketing and communications for the McGaw YMCA, including its Children Center and Summer Camp. The Senior Director, Marketing & Communications is an experienced and skilled leader who is creative, strategic, works collaboratively and operates well in a fast-paced environment.
This leader will focus on strategic and deliberate building of the McGaw YMCA’s visibility, brand, membership, philanthropy, and reputation as a community based thought leader. In addition, the Senior Director will be responsible for overseeing all Marketing and Communications from McGaw through multiple channels to a wide range of stakeholders; members, donors, prospects, community partners, key influencers, volunteers, media, community at-large, etc.
Reporting to the Vice President of Philanthropy, the Senior Director of Marketing & Communications will help ensure the effective delivery of McGaw YMCA’s vision, mission, and brand by developing a strong integrated association-wide marketing and communications plan ultimately growing the organization’s visibility and recognition.
The Senior Director of Marketing & Communications will be responsible for the integrated strategic planning, management, implementation, and metric-based evaluation of marketing and communications strategies, plans and tactics. The Senior Director will design and execute strategies to strengthen current relationships while broadening the scope of outreach to new individuals and organizations. Essential to ultimate success is the ability to lead an integrated and coordinated approach to Marketing & Communications throughout the association and its multiple business units and programs. The successful Senior Director will oversee an existing team and will be authorized to build the team as dictated by growth and progress.
The Senior Director of Marketing & Communications will serve as a key liaison to organizational leadership in the areas of branding, marketing, communication, media relations, and digital strategies and will serve as an effective and articulate ambassador in the community.
- Lead, motivate, coach and provide strategic direction of the marketing and communications team (3.5) to support the development and execution of the integrated marketing and communications strategy and plan.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and commitment to high quality. Actively develop staff, including opportunities to learn new skills and advance both personally and professionally. Provide mentorship to grow staff and ultimately build succession into key roles.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountability metrics, clearly communicate objectives, provide ongoing feedback and conduct annual performance appraisals.
- Lead the process for establishing annual departmental goals and objectives and ensure successful implementation and execution.
- Facilitate dynamic training experiences for staff, leaders, and volunteers in the areas of communications and messaging
- Collaborate closely with other McGaw YMCA teams to synchronize overall branding and messaging, and to communicate outcomes commensurate with the mission, program offerings, and services.
Marketing & Communications and Community Cultivation Objectives
- Develop and implement an annual integrated marketing plan and budget to achieve YMCA objectives in its external presence, marketing and communications, public relations and branding. Develop and implement a social media strategy that strengthens fundraising and online giving.
- Ensure all marketing-communications are well-coordinated, integrated and support marketing plan goals/objectives and are an effective expenditure of resources.
- Diligently measure and communicate progress of the annual marketing and communications plan and manage the department’s budget and any in-kind/pro bono resources.
- Build relationships with strategically-identified influencers, donors, community leaders and volunteers
- Engage organizations with which the McGaw YMCA should strategically partner.
- Lead and direct the communication of the McGaw YMCA brand across all channels, including but not limited to print, audio, video, internet, mobile, and social media platforms.
- Cultivate and maintain media relationships to ensure visibility for the McGaw YMCA.
- Identify opportunities, challenges and emerging issues facing McGaw YMCA and its members, and develop and lead a targeted content strategy that consistently delivers valuable and relevant information to key audiences.
- Oversee creation and distribution of all McGaw YMCA print, electronic, and mobile communications for programs, philanthropy, executive needs, including but not limited to annual reports, press releases, program guides, brochures, speeches, calendars, website, social media, and other materials in print and electronic formats.
- Serve as the McGaw YMCA’s lead point person for all media inquiries. Build an annual/quarterly public relations and media outreach calendar. Prepare/oversee talking points, written communication, etc. as needed.
- Coordinate Media interest in YMCA and ensure regular contact with existing and targeted media sources.
- Provide strategic leadership to the McGaw YMCA’s efforts to effectively communicate the mission, goals, and accomplishments to donors, prospective donors and broader community.
- Equip and train (when necessary) McGaw’s leadership to serve as thought leaders in the community.
- Support growth in membership through multipronged strategies that include innovative partnerships, communication and corporate programs.
- Partner with leaders across McGaw’s various business units and programs to build stronger internal communications, helping to both inform and stay focused on our global strategic imperatives.
Fundraising and Events
- Within the larger integrated marketing and communications plan, specific strategies should be developed and implemented to strengthen fundraising and online giving through the various channels and content creation.
- Along with others, nurture partnerships and relationships with current/prospective funders, community leaders and/or members.
- Provide support related to the quarterly fundraising efforts via direct mail and electronic campaigns.
- Provide strategic support on stewardship activities and collateral.
- Effectively market the Annual Gala and other events, to help maximize attendance, sponsorship and the event public relations to communicate McGaw’s story and fundraising objectives to all audiences and attendees.
- Play a role in building a culture of philanthropy at McGaw YMCA.
BUDGET FOR WHICH THE POSITION IS RESPONSIBLE FOR:
EXPENSE: Approximately $400,000 INCOME:
NUMBER OF STAFF SUPERVISED: 4 including 3 full time and 1 part time